PUPPY PLACEMENT QUESTIONNAIRE – Solhundur Kennel
If you wish to be put on our waiting list, you must complete and return the questionnaire.
Thank you for your interest in our Icelandic puppies. We try to ensure that people purchasing our pups have the best chance of success and each puppy finds the right home for their personality. We ask all our prospective families to complete a questionnaire to help give us the best chance of providing you with the most appropriate life-long (12-15 years) companion. Available puppies are offered to homes in the order that applications were received and approved. We will request a deposit when we know a puppy will be available that matches your requirements, and the deposit will be returned if for any reason we do not have a suitable puppy to offer you.
Your Name: _____________________________________________________________
E-mail Address: __________________________________________________________
Please take the time to answer all the questions as only complete applications will be accepted for review.
1. How did you find out about Iceland Sheepdogs? ______________________________
2. Do you have a time frame in which you wish to acquire a puppy? ________________
3. Have you ever raised a puppy before? Yes___ No___ What breed(s)? _____________ _______________________________________________________________________
Where are those dogs now? _________________________________________________
4. Have you met an Iceland Sheepdog? Yes___ No___ Where?_____________ Describe what you liked about that dog. ________________________________________________________________________
5. Are there children in your home? Yes___ No___ What are their ages?_______________
Have they been around dogs before and do they know how to treat and respect them? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
6. Are there any other dogs? ___ pets?___ Livestock?___ What kind or breed?_________ ________________________________________________________________________
7. Iceland Sheepdogs are very devoted companion dogs. Are you prepared to have a constant “shadow”? _______________________________________________________________________
8. How much of the time would the pup/dog be able to spend with you or a family member? ________________________________________________________________________
9. If left alone for excessive periods of time Iceland Sheepdogs may resort to barking, digging, or other undesirable behaviour. If you must be gone for long periods at times, describe a plan or comfortable place where the dog will stay so that it will not become a neighbourhood nuisance. ____________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
10. What kind of home do you have? House with yard___ Farm___ Townhouse with yard ___ Apartment without yard ___ Do you rent, lease, or own?_____ If renting, does the landlord permit pets, and would you consent to my contacting the landlord? _______________________________________________________________________
11. How much time will the dog spend indoors?____ Outdoors?____ Alone while you are at work? ____ Describe how the dog will be contained in your yard. _____________
12. What concerns do you or any family member have about getting a puppy? In your situation, what would constitute a problem with a puppy/dog? ________________________________________________________________________
13. Do you plan to crate train your puppy/dog? _______ Have you ever done this before? ________________________________________________________________________
14. How might you react to an occasional indoor “accident”? ______________________
15. Are you committed to providing premium quality food, routine vaccinations and worming treatments and providing health care as needed and treating the pup/dog as a valued member of the family? ________________________________________________________________________
16. How do you plan to provide exercise for your puppy/dog? ______________________
17. How would you deal with barking? ________________________________________
18. How do you plan to train your puppy/dog? __________________________________
19. Iceland Sheepdogs come in a range of temperaments, body types, and coat types. What is your idea of the perfect ISD? ________________________________________________________________________
20. Do you have a particular color in mind and just how important is that to you?_______
21. Do you prefer male?___ female?___no preference?___ Why? ___________________
22. Although a well groomed ISD which is fed a quality diet usually does not have “doggy” odor or excessive dander, are you aware that ISD may shed heavily at certain times of the year (usually in the spring & fall). Is that a problem with you?____________
23. Do you have an interest in dog activities? Working farm___ Conformation Shows___ Obedience Trials___ Flyball___ Herding Trials___ Agility___ Frisbee___ Therapy___ Supreme Companion___ Other (describe) _____________________________________
24. Would you be interested in an early neuter (before 8 weeks) or early spay (12 weeks) for your pup? Explain______________________________________________________
25. If breeding is in your plans, what would be the goal and purpose of your breeding program? _______________________________________________________________
26. If you plan to breed, do you agree to abide by the Icelandic Sheepdog Association of America code of ethics, which includes testing eyes and submitting x-rays for OFA or PennHIP rating before breeding and to plan your breeding only to further enhance the breed? __________________________________________________________________
27. Occasionally I have a pup of outstanding quality for which I would like to retain breeding rights. In the case of a female, it is usually for one litter. The dog would remain in your possession unless you wish for me to handle the whelping and care of the puppies. In the case of a male dog I would reserve a set amount of stud services to be agreed upon at the time of purchase. The dog would be held in a co-ownership until the obligation would be fulfilled at which time I would sign off of the co-ownership. The dog may then be spayed or neutered, if desired. Would you be interested in a situation such as this? Yes, No, Comments? _________________________________________________
28. Are you willing to let me make a recommendation based upon your answers to these questions and my familiarity with the pups for the most suitable puppy for your situation?
____If not, why?__________________________________________________________
Name: ____________________________ Spouse’s name: ________________________
Signature: _________________________ Spouse’s signature: _____________________
Thank you for filling out this form to help us better understand what you are looking for in a puppy. If you have any questions for me, please feel free to ask them!